Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Double digits

I’m officially in double digits on my long runs thanks to the 10 miles I put in at Crissy Field this morning!  The first couple of miles seemed particularly difficult today and the new shoes that I was raving about are starting to show some signs of potential issues (I think they may indeed be too narrow) but I was able to work through the troublesome miles and deal with the shoes enough to make it through without collapsing or better yet, shoving the lady who was disrupting the peaceful setting by screaming into her phone (on speaker of course) about the "lack of class" her sister showed at the wedding.... clearly it runs in the family.

I’m still a few miles behind based on my original plan of attack but according to the very friendly and extremely fit guy (he was wearing an Iron Man shirt) in Starbucks  who overheard my anxiety-ridden chat with the barista, I still have time to safely ramp the rest of the way up.  I’ve decided to believe him as it’s much easier to stomach than the alternative which would likely leave me quivering in a corner mumbling incoherently about wine-induced decisions to run marathons… if you’ve ever seen the movie Overboard (yes, it’s old but so am I), I believe the state in which Goldie Hawn was in when Kurt Russell dumped her into a barrel of cold water is similar to the place which thinking about running 26.2 miles can easily take me to. 

So while I do feel a bit panicky about where I am in terms of my mileage, after today’s run I feel pretty well prepared for the upcoming Run Like a Diva half marathon that will be taking place a week from this Sunday.  I wasn’t sure how this race would play out as my propensity for indecision resulted in being wait-listed but I’m now officially registered and ready or not, will be running 13.1 miles along the San Francisco Bay on May 6th!  Despite the fact that I’m really very un-diva like (no comments from those who know me well enough to think otherwise), who doesn’t like a race with tiaras and feather boas along the way and a glass of champagne waiting at the finish line? Oh, and they also have a pre-race event the Friday before at the local Lululemon store… a company that I have a total crush on and whose clothes I would dress head-to-toe in every day if given the opportunity (in all fairness, I would likely dress in anything stretchy at all times if given the opportunity... just a great added bonus that their stuff is well cut and incredibly cute on top of being stretchy!).

Alright, several major muscle groups are voicing displeasure at the 10 miles from earlier today so I’m off to spend some quality time with my beloved foam roller and yoga for runners DVD (love the poses but the instructor has a scary vacant-eyed look that makes her look like a Stepford wife). Fingers crossed the weather holds for the rest of the week and if not, be prepared for some soggy feet photos!

Cheers,
SF Runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment