Monday, April 30, 2012

Heat waves (sort of), hikes and coconuts.

This weekend was great in every possible way – everything from the weather to the activities to the people I was able to spend time with was fantastic!   The last couple of weekends have not only been warm but have also been relatively fog and wind free (somewhat unusual for this time of year… well, actually for any time of year other than approximately 2 weeks in October) which drove people en mass out of the coffee shops, restaurants, bars and comfort of their own homes in to any and every square inch of outdoor space this city has to offer.  Needless to say, there have been a lot of hot pink shoulders, lines 6 blocks long for gourmet ice cream in flavors such as Secret Breakfast (think bourbon flavored ice cream with clusters of frosted flakes) and Jesus Juice (red wine sorbet… need I say more?) and a severe shortage of things that could be grilled as well as the frosty beverages that would normally accompany said grilled items.   

So, as not to be left out of the outdoors fun, I slathered up in my newly acquired coconut scented sporty sunscreen (jury is still out on this one as I’m not entirely sure I enjoy smelling like coconuts and it makes me want to be poolside with some sort of umbrella drink rather than trying to be active) and went on two vastly different hikes over the weekend.  The first one was a long and beautiful uphill climb to the top of Mt. Tam with a good friend who I don’t spend nearly enough time with… she’s one of those people who makes you happy just by being around her – she glows from the inside out and is beautiful in the ways that only someone who is making choices for the right reasons, staying grounded and living the life they want can be.  It was a gorgeous day and a wonderful time.

The second hike was of the urban nature and took me and my better half on a 5 mile journey across the city to a super fun restaurant/bar located by the piers on the bay.  It’s a fantastic place to settle in for a leisurely afternoon of food and beverages while gazing at the passing sailboats, tourists and crazy locals so we did just that and it was simply perfect.  The challenge with urban hikes is usually the return trip and this one was no exception as it’s just not that easy to motivate to walk the entire distance home after a few hours in the sunshine sipping chilled chardonnay (don’t worry, I had water and food as well... I’ve learned my lesson… for the most part) so I was rather proud of us when we made it the majority of the way back before option for public transportation to get us the last couple of very steep and very uphill miles. 

So with the weekend behind me, I am now focused on the half marathon that is coming up this Sunday.  It’s still so strange to think that last year all my training, efforts and fears were around the completion of a half and now it’s more of a step in my training than anything else – totally crazy and does make me have a slight panic moment but it’s nothing compared to last week’s complete and utter state of panic.  

Before I go, I would be remiss if I didn’t update you on the enthralling subject of my never-ending quest for the perfect (or at least non pain and/or injury inducing) running shoes.  I did find a new pair and gave them a 7 mile test run today along Crystal Springs Reservoir (a nice paved trail with some rolling hills and lots of pretty scenery located about 20 minutes south of the city) and am happy to report that they did pretty well!  I do think that I need to give some different socks a whirl (annoying seams are bothering my big toes) but the increased cushioning from the last “new” pair seems to address some heel and knee pain I was feeling.  Fingers crossed… again. 

I would love to show you the pretty location where I did my run today but I forgot to take a picture afterwards so instead I have created a lovely montage photo which includes the new shoes, new fancy muscle stick thingy (I’m sure that’s the technical term for it) and the umbrella drink sporty suntan lotion for your viewing pleasure.


Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment