Monday, May 7, 2012

I even wore pink.

I did it - I ran like a Diva... and I even wore pink (well, more like a plum but still).  It was a sweaty, sometimes irritating, toe-hurting run (clearly still need some work in the shoe area) but mostly it was totally awesome and incredibly gratifying in so many ways! It was also a nice reminder that there really is something about being in an actual running event that gives you a boost which make the miles pass more quickly as well as distracts you from your body reminding you that it thinks you are crazy for making it do what it’s doing...something I will likely need a whole lot of when it comes time for the full marathon!

The first couple miles of the course were super congested and full of inexperienced runner hazards… not that I’m an expert by any means but even I know that stopping abruptly in the middle of the path to answer your phone or fix your ponytail is a no-no. Oh, and lest you forget, this was a “Diva” run so there were also a LOT of wardrobe malfunctions people were stopping to deal with (think flying feathers, sequins in eyes, tangled tassels, etc.).  Some of the funny things I heard in the first 3 miles… “do you think this sports bra makes me look fat?”, “I figured since I can run 3 miles at a time I’ll just stop every 3 miles and then start again – it can’t be that much harder to run 13 miles than it is to run 3”, and my favorite one “I think I’m still drunk”.  Around mile 4 most of the hazards had slowed to a walk (or possibly returned to the nearby hotel bar) and I was able to make up a bit of time and try to find my stride rather than focusing only on getting through the crowds without face planting. It was around that time that my big toes started to hurt despite the careful sock selection and application of anti-friction stuff which took place that morning (guess it’s time for a return trip to the running store… sigh) but despite the discomfort, it was also right around that time I started to feel settled into the run. It was a really sunny day and other than a lovely little stretch through a grove of eucalyptus trees, the route had minimal shade so I was happy to be wearing a tank as well as my sunglasses, visor and buckets of sunscreen (yes, the coconut one and yes, I did picture frosty mini umbrella drinks which was a lovely distraction).

At mile 6 my own personal pit crew (AKA my better half) showed up with chapstick, water to wash down Shot Blocks and some much needed and appreciated encouragement that I was doing a great job and to keep it up (such a lucky girl I am!).   Miles 6 – 11 went pretty well and I kept up with my plan of walking through each of the water stations and also took a quick break to retie my shoes in hopes I could give my toes some relief (nope, didn’t work but did get me some distance from the girl running in the annoying skirt with bells on it so was totally worth it). Mile 11-12 lasted much longer than I thought it should have and was probably the most difficult mile of the race for me but once I got to the 12 mile marker, the last 1.1 miles totally flew by and before I knew it I was crossing the finish line and receiving not only my tiara but also a red rose, glass of champagne and a rather large finisher’s medal which were being presented by very, very fit shirtless firefighters (I’m still slightly suspect that they were really members of a boy band rather than actual firemen).  

So now I am officially a 2 time half marathon finisher! And while I do have the toe/shoe thing to figure out as well as something funky that started with my right knee about 4 hours after I finished the run (feels slightly weak and the back of the knee aches and is somewhat stiff), I definitely felt stronger during this one, am really proud of my accomplishment and am reminding myself that I am now one step closer to my goal of running a full marathon.

Today will be a complete rest day with lots of ice, Advil, water and anything else I can find on the internet that will help my pieces and parts feel better quickly so that I can get right back out there to stay on track with my training schedule… no rest for the weary (well, past today)!

Race Results
2 hours, 18 minutes and 51 seconds.
Overall Place855 / 3558
Division Place161 / 686


Cheers,

SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment