Thursday, May 10, 2012

My new toy and that guy on TV.

It took my pieces and parts awhile to recover from the half marathon I ran on Sunday so Monday and Tuesday were total rest days which included some gentle stretching, a lot of ice on my right knee (as well as some on the left so it didn’t feel left out and start acting up), tons and tons of water along with copious amounts of Advil (you should see the size of the bottle I just got… it’s giant!). On Wednesday I did a couple miles of walking followed by some yoga for runners (the people on the DVD still freak me out with their blank stares and abnormally bendy parts) and a long session with my beloved foam roller and magic muscle stick thingy… both of which worked painful miracles on my tight ITB (Iliotibial Band – it’s a band of thick fibrous tissue that starts at the hip and runs along the outer thigh and attaches on the outside edge of the shin bone just below the knee joint and it can get super tight and make pretty much everything hurt). I’m fairly certain that I know more about anatomy now than I ever have before despite watching that somewhat creepy guy in the bodysuit as a kid (remember that guy? I think it was a PBS show... ahh, yes... Google to the rescue once again... Slim Goodbody!)

By yesterday evening I was getting pretty cranky after not being able to run for a few days (not that long ago I would have said the exact opposite and would have dreaded going to run rather than being bummed about it... kind of a cool transformation). So this morning I laced up (same shoes, same issues), grabbed my new totally badass Nike+ Sportwatch w/GPS (a congratulations on the half marathon prize from my sweetie!) and went to Crissy Field to see what my body would let me do.  Apparently my parts were grateful for the days of rest because everything pitched in and did their part to keep me upright and running comfortably (maybe comfortably is too strong of a word… perhaps that should be replaced with “relatively comfortable”) for a great 10 mile run!

My total fascination with the new watch thingy distracted me for most of the run… I had no idea my pacing was so inconsistent or that I was miscalculating my regular loop by almost .25 miles (thankfully I was running further than I thought vs. shorter!). It was also easy to get caught up in looking around at what an amazing day it was as well as all of the people the warm sunshine brought out so it really wasn’t until about mile 9 that I started to think about the end of the run rather than just enjoying what was going on around me (and what my fancy watch was telling me about my run… how far, pacing, time, etc… so much fun!).  The watch also introduced a new sense of freedom because instead of having to stick to a predetermined route, I'm now able to branch out while still keeping tabs on my mileage - total bonus! And now that I will have all the fun details of each run, I'm going to include them in my posts... while I do hope you will find them interesting, quite frankly it's more for me than for you as I'm a sucker for accountability and need all the help I can to make sure I'm getting in the necessary miles at this stage in the game!

10 miles, 1hr 43 min 57 sec, avg pace 10.22 (I couldn’t figure out how to pause it when I stopped for a quick restroom break… got it figured out now so average pace should be more accurate next time!)

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment