Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Total poser.


It’s funny… despite the fact that I clearly have run, can run and continue to run, I still struggle with actually see myself as a “runner”.  With a bunch of 5ks, some 10ks, a 12k (Bay to Breakers last year... wild and crazy times… well, actually, not as wild and crazy as before they made participants stop pulling kegs of beer along the route) and two half marathons, one would think that I would have fully embraced this part of me by now... maybe if I start running to the theme of Rocky or that Eye of the Tiger song I'll feel more legit... or at the very least really motivated (although perhaps that only works when you need to run up stairs).  That being said, I’m hopeful that I can shift my perspective in time for the marathon as it can’t be a good thing to go into it visualizing myself bouncy walking, crawling or rolling to the finish line rather than looking like a Nike ad as I tear up the roads like a lean, mean running machine. 

So “runner” or not, I took my slightly achy knees and sore shins (that’s what I get for giving the pair of shoes I swore off of one more try) to Crissy Field this morning to get in my miles.  Once I got over the fog-induced dampness and serious breeze, the run went pretty well and included a sea lion sighting (pretty common there) as well as a dolphin sighting (not so common there and totally cool!).  I included a detour through Fort Mason again, added in another loop through the hills and finished up mile 7 by dodging through about 500 kids on some sort of field trip (also a common but not as cool sighting in that area).

If you include yesterday’s Pilates express session (I’m fairly certain that the extended version might cause irreparable damage… nobody wants to throw out their parts doing something called a boomerang) and yoga for runners (still trying desperately to turn my angry pigeon pose into a happy little pigeon like the one that super bendy Dynamic Duo can do in her sleep), I would have to say that so far I’m doing a fairly good job of redeeming myself for last week’s serious slacking. Now, let’s see if I can keep it together long enough to get through the 12 miles I need to do on Friday... fingers crossed!

7 miles, 1hr 8 min, 25 sec, avg pace 9.46

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment