Monday, July 9, 2012

20 days and 50 miles to go.

My recovery from Friday's 20 mile long run actually went better than I thought it would… Sporty made me a delicious dinner that night while I lounged about with as many ice packs strapped to my parts as possible and by Saturday I was in good enough shape to walk around the Fillmore Street jazz festival for a couple hours (granted, it took me about 10 minutes to get down the stairs and I returned to my sofa and ice immediately afterwards but still, at least I could move!). 

Despite being able to move around fairly well over the weekend,  I wasn’t entirely sure how running would go today. Thankfully, I was able to get through all 9.5 miles (the .5 extra was a result of a sidewalk closure detour) this morning despite my still somewhat achy knees, sore right foot and horrifying toes. It was foggy and cool in the city this morning but as you can see in the photo, clear and sunny towards Sausalito and  Tiburon (I totally should have gone to Sam's Anchor Cafe afterwards... they make delightful drinks, yummy food and have a fantastic deck which is perfect for lounging about on sunny afternoons... I digress).  Needless to say, I was extremely relieved that my long run didn't cause me to miss any miles today and am hopeful that the 8 miles and 12 miles that are left this week go just as well if not better.  Disclaimer - this part is kind of gross so I'll use small font for those of you who want to skip over it (just squint enough to make it blurry and look for the start of the next paragraph and you'll be fine.. I promise). If you look closely at the photo you can see where the blood from my toe started to seep through the top of my right shoe... so gross but totally makes me a bad ass, right?!?

With 20 days and 50 training miles left, I’m officially in the tapering portion of my training (if they could, my toes would give that statement a standing ovation right about now).  I’ve had a few moments of doubt about my decision to make my longest run 20 miles vs. 22 or 24 and continue to experience flashes of uncertainty about how much I have or haven’t cross trained, run, etc. but overall I’d say that I feel pretty good about where I’m at (other than my damaged pieces and parts which I am now pleading with on a daily basis in the hopes that they will heal as much as possible in the next couple of weeks).  

So 20 more days… 20 days to run a few more miles, to stay as bendy and injury-free as possible, to keep fueled and hydrated, to pick out the perfect race day outfit, to obsess over every last detail and to enjoy the final days of what has been months and months and months of training both physically and mentally for the SF Marathon.  I can’t believe it’s almost here! 

9.5miles, 1hr 34min 23sec, avg 10.31

Cheers,
SF runner in training
 

No comments:

Post a Comment