Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Trophies, liquid celebrations and encouragment.

As a result of spending the weekend outside watching countless softball games, celebrating Sporty’s team winning the championship with perhaps a few too many glasses of liquid celebration and being awake from about midnight – 5am for no apparent reason, yesterday’s  8 mile run was harder than it should have been.  I’m trying to remind myself that it’s not a reflection of how the marathon will go… especially since I’ve now sworn off any sort of fluids other than water, coffee and the occasional glass of red wine ( what?... it’s good for the heart!). 

The best part of the softball weekend for me (other than the stellar wins of course) was how incredibly supportive everyone was about my upcoming race.  I especially loved the bonding moment with another marathon newbie during which we discussed our mounting doubts, concerns and terror at what we are about to do. I'm so appreciative for all of the  reassurance, tips and encouragement... thanks all you softball playing machines!

Despite the pretty windy morning yesterday, I ran faster than I have been recently (totally a result of the low mileage and my body wanting it to be over with) and other than feeling really tired, my aches and pains were fairly manageable.  I did have a bit more discomfort in my knees which I think is due to the lack of taping as I used up the last of my magic Kinesio tape on Sporty and some of the other players this weekend (all of whom are now firm believers in the magic of the tape). I’m going to have to stock up for sure as come race day I may need to be wrapped in it from head to toe.  Maybe I can adhere my inspirational sayings and photos to the magic tape to create myself some sort of a motivational superhero outfit … that combo might actually get me across the finish line (or in one of those fashion magazine “Don’t” photos at the very least).

Only 22 miles, a few more training sessions and less than two weeks to go… so crazy how time flies when you’re having "fun"! 

8miles, 1hr 22min 2sec, avg 10:15

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment