Friday, July 13, 2012

Less is more.

While my pieces and parts are quite pleased that it’s tapering time, my head is having a hard time accepting that less really is more at this stage of the game.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m relieved to have a break physically but at the same time, I think I’m wishing that I had more time to prepare… one more long run to go a little further on, more time to find and break in better shoes, a few additional weeks of cross-training, etc., etc. I'm not actually sure that I would ever feel totally prepared regardless of how much time I’d invested in training but I'm doing my best to ignore the silent screams of panic in my head and continue to, you guessed it, trust in the process!

When I got to the end of today’s 12 miles part of me wanted to keep going (back to that challenge I’m having with less is more) and the other parts (namely my troubled feet and newly bothersome left hip.. no idea what that was about) were really excited that it was time to stop bouncing down the road into gale force winds (nothing says summer in San Francisco like fog, drizzle, cold and wind!). Needless to say, today’s miles were slow (I like to think that was because of the wind... those things in the photo are the wind turbines at Crissy Field and they were spinning like crazy which totally proves my point) and soggy (definitely from the fog) but rewarding nonetheless. 

So with only 30 miles and only 16 days left, I plan on spending the weekend watching some softball (Sporty has playoffs… fingers crossed the lovely walking boot doesn’t make a return appearance), hanging with my extended family while they are here enjoying the lovely summer weather (bring jackets!!!) and indulging in likely more than one very well-known and substantiated hydration relaxation therapy session... otherwise known as drinking red wine.

12 miles, 2hrs 8min 47sec, avg 10:43 (I'm totally blaming this one on the wind)

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment