Wednesday, June 20, 2012

15 training runs to go...

Other than some slightly crunchy knees and my right toe still doing its best to make sure I’m aware it isn’t pleased with this whole running business, today’s 9 miles went well.  I spent a lot of time while running today thinking about the fact that I only have 15 training runs left before the marathon including an 18 miler this Friday and a 20 miler the Friday after next… I’m really putting my newly found mantra of “trust in the process” to the test and am hoping that it helps me avoid a full-blow panic attack at the idea of the upcoming very long runs! 

When the adrenalin of today's run had worn off, a touch of soreness had settled in and the rest of my day was wrapping up, my mantra faltered just a tad and let in a sliver of doubt. Thankfully, a well-timed chat with my mom during which she worked her mom magic by letting me go on and on about running and then telling me once again how proud and impressed she is with my efforts helped me do an about-face and squash the creeping doubts. Mom's timing was impeccable and, as always, her love and support was invaluable and irreplaceable... thanks mom!

My schedule has been somewhat chaotic the last couple of weeks and I’ve let my cross training fall by the wayside (definitely a required part of the “process” so you can imagine my anxiety over not getting it done!).  So with the fear of an increased potential for injuries and the knowledge that it really does seem to help with my running, I got back on track this week and got in Yoga for Runners yesterday and will make sure that tomorrow includes a Pilates mat session… both are a little challenging to do given that the room in my house that has the TV/DVD has a lot of furniture (a.k.a. hazards!) so one has to be very careful about where they roll like a seal or land their pigeon.  I’m obsessed with the pigeon pose and am still trying to turn my angry pigeon into a happy pigeon like Bendy Dynamic Duo… Sporty Dynamic Duo thinks we made up pigeon pose as a way to torment her but it really is a true pose and there is nothing like it for tight hips!  

Other than a short Pilates session tomorrow, I plan on keeping an eye on my hydration and nutrition, absorbing as many inspirational quotes and images as humanly possible (I've included some for your viewing pleasure so you don't feel left out) and doing anything else I can to get myself ready physically and mentally for Friday’s 18 mile run.  Wish me luck and check back in a few days to read how it went…. I’ll likely not be able to move afterwards so will have plenty of time to write a thorough update!

9miles, 1hr 31min 27sec, avg 10.09

Cheers,
SF runner in training







No comments:

Post a Comment