Monday, June 4, 2012

One missed run and a lot of tissues


Okay, so I didn’t totally fall of the training wagon over the last week but I have encountered a slight bump in the road in the form of some sort of flu/sinus thing that has kept me pretty much down for the count since Thursday night (picture lots and lots of tissues, that stinky Vick's vapor rub stuff,more liquids than humanly possible and an array of items from the pharmacy that will either cure me or at the very least enable me to manufacture some sort of illicit street drug in my kitchen).

I did manage to get in 7 miles last Monday around my neighborhood (sidewalks suck as do drivers that never, ever look for pedestrians and bikers that never, ever stop at stop signs) before heading out to the ballpark to watch the Giant’s game from a very lovely skybox (particularly delightful given the great company, unlimited Cracker Jacks and delicious complementary wine!). I forgot to take feet pictures last week so am including this one as well as the one below for your viewing pleasure... please note that I am not in the picture below but will be flattered if you think it's me in any of the inspirational saying images (except for the one from a few weeks ago that shows the rather rotund little girl running as fast as her little legs would carry her... that's not quite the image I'm aiming for).

I also squeezed in 6 miles at the crack of dawn on Wednesday before it got to be a thousand degrees (or 97… whichever sounds more impressive) in Granite Bay where I was helping my amazingly fabulous extended family get settled  in their great new home. I was just going to add that I missed a few cross training sessions last week due to being out of town but now that I think about it, the moving of boxes, furniture, etc. that we were doing surely has to count as some sort of “training” doesn’t it? 

The unfortunate part is that by Friday I was too sick to do my long run and am still dealing with the fever and congestion which have proved to be enough to keep my running shoes on the floor rather than on my feet where they belong. Needless to say, I’m super bummed but trying to listen to my body (as well as my mom, dad, significant other, etc.) and not push myself too hard as I tend to be one of those people who can slip towards things like pneumonia and bronchitis at the blink of an eye if I’m not careful.  

So here I am on a very wet and stormy summer day (it literally looks like the middle of winter out there) feeling very grumpy because I can’t run (and questioning my decision not to run today about every 5 minutes), trying not to get ahead of myself in terms of worrying about my training progress and doing my best not to get sucked into the abyss of terrible reality shows on TV (okay, I might not be trying all that hard not to get sucked in… isn’t that the kind of thing you’re supposed to do when you’re home sick on a rainy day??).  I plan on staying on my couch island for the remainder of today drinking lots of fluids and medicating heavily so that I can start tomorrow by sweating out the remainder of this plague and shaking off the rest of the funk that's been hanging over me for the last few weeks... with less than 2 months to go it's seriously time to go big or go home (favorite saying of sporty Dynamic Duo)!

Monday, May 28th: 7miles, 1hr 15min 36sec, avg 10.48 (lots of moving hazards)
Wednesday, May 30th: 6.13miles, 1 hr 03min 07sec, avg 10:17 (less moving hazards but lots of intersections with traffic lights)

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment