Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hopper's Hands

After a weekend spent resting as much as possible and avoiding shoes other than flip flops (it looks like I’m on the verge of yet another toenail incident after Friday’s 16 miles…I know, totally disgusting), I was able to get out the door and through yesterday’s 9 miles relatively easily (well, with the exception of the searing toe pain!).

Part of my usual running route takes me to Fort Point (a very majestic historic site tucked underneath the bridge that is absolutely worth a visit) where I, along with zillions of others, tap the Hopper’s Hands plaque that is on the fence that marks the furthest point of accessible land (you might be able to get a little further by climbing on some rocks but I'll leave that to the crazy people who surf under the bridge!). The plaque originally came to be when one of the bridge iron workers (Ken Hopper) noticed that people running to the point would touch the fence like a finish line of sorts.  Ken asked the bridge sign painter to make a sign with handprints on it as well as one with dog paw prints as he also witnessed people coaxing their dogs to the fence for a big finish. The plaque not only represents Ken's thoughtfulness to those who use the site as a symbol of a reached goal, but more importantly, it's a reminder of the acts of bravery and compassion extended by Ken and his fellow iron workers who doubled as bridge suicide interventionists by lending a hand of help to those in need. Okay, history lesson done and no pop quiz if you all promise to go see the signs for yourselves someday.  I tried to get the paw prints into the photo as well but I was rather precariously balanced and it was all I could do to not topple over while balancing with my feet up in the air!

Tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful day and I’m actually looking forward to my morning 9 miles as well as the leisurely 12 that are coming up this Friday (yeah for drop-back week!!).

9miles, 1hr 32min 12sec, avg 10.13

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment