Tuesday, June 19, 2012

245.5

After a totally sweltering weekend, the weather took a turn yesterday so my 9 mile run was blissfully cool (albeit a bit soggy from the misty fog) and, thankfully, went much better than the one last Friday.  I also managed to make it through without acquiring any additional injuries (well, none that have surfaced thus far) which equates to a great training session in my book.

I do have to say that I’m getting a bit bored of the Crissy Field/Fort Mason area but it is a really good location for getting in varying terrain (that hill is a killer!) and keeping off of injury inducing cement sidewalks.  Golden Gate Park is another lovely area to run but it lacks the hills that I’m trying to include to decrease the possibility of having to crawl up all of them on race day so I guess I’ll stick with what I’ve been doing and suffer through with the panoramic views of the bay, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Palace of Fine Arts, the city skyline…. I know, poor me!

Yesterday when I was running and trying to keep myself motivated through the little twinges of discomfort and the passing of time and miles, I started pondering the idea of trusting the process. As you may have deduced from earlier posts, I’m not necessarily inclined to be the most go-with-the-flow individual (as demonstrated by my fit on Saturday when I had a wardrobe malfunction when already 15 minutes late leaving for a wedding) and I’m further challenged by a general lack of capacity for trusting things like processes (or myself on occasion) so this was a bit of a breakthrough for me.

That being said, it was a very introspective run and I was able to make some progress in allowing myself to trust in the process of my training… to trust in the hydration and nutrition, to trust in the yoga, stretching and rolling, to trust in the magical recovery items, to trust in the 245. 5 miles I’ve run since April 1st and to trust in my resolve to achieve what will be the biggest accomplishment of my adult life (so far and not including things such as not being arrested and whatnot).

Tomorrow’s run is another “short” run during which I plan on continuing to focus on staying motivated and introspective enough to keep me from hiding under my bed on Friday morning when I will tackle my second to last very long (18 miles!) training run.

9 miles, 1hr 31min 39 sec, avg 10.11

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment