Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Can legs fall off?

As I promised myself I would, I got up and out the door this morning for a run at Crissy Field despite still feeling somewhat under the weather.  While I think my theory of sweating out the rest of my illness may have been slightly flawed, it definitely did help to shake off some of my lingering crankiness/cynicism (yeah for naturally produced serotonin!).  

So while the fresh air and physical exertion did some good mentally, physically it was a pretty difficult run.  Not only was I a total snotty mess (I know, totally gross), but I also encountered some new aches and discomfort along with one rather unnerving shooting pain in the side of my knee.  I stopped briefly at one point to check in with my angry right knee and took a few walking breaks to try and sort out my left calf, right ankle, right shin and balls of my feet (so basically the knees and below… what is up with that??!).   
 
Thankfully, I was able to sort most of it out enough to finish strong and make it through all 8 miles (technically 8.26 due to a slight unplanned detour… I have to stop getting distracted by cute puppies and running outfits!) after which I collapsed on one of the lovely Adirondack chairs outside of the Beach Hut Cafe (I'm certain that I looked about 1,000 years old trying to get up afterwards but it was delightful while I was in it!). 

With another 8 mile short run (it just made me laugh out loud that I now consider 8 miles "short"... ha ha!) coming up this week, a 16 miler one at the end of the week and nothing but increases pretty much from here on out, I'm in total recovery mode this evening.  I'm also spending what is surely an abnormally excessive amount of time Googling all of my random aches and pains as I'm certain I'm only a few more clicks from learning the secret to keeping my legs from falling off. 

Fingers crossed that ice, Advil, some compression, stretching, all of the magic muscle thingies I have and the knowledge I gain from Dr. Google will sort out whatever is pissing off my legs so that they will stay attached and willing participants throughout this journey!

8.26 miles, 1hr 26min 21sec, avg 10.28

Cheers,
SF runner in training

No comments:

Post a Comment